A library which supports decoding and generating of barcodes (like QR Code, PDF 417, EAN, UPC, Aztec, Data Matrix, Codabar) within images.
The project is a port of the java based barcode reader and generator library ZXing.http://code.google.com/p/zxing/
It has been ported by hand with a lot of optimizations and improvements.
The following barcodes are supported by the decoder:
UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, ITF, Codabar, MSI, RSS-14 (all variants), QR Code, Data Matrix, Aztec and PDF-417.
The encoder supports the following formats:
UPC-A, EAN-8, EAN-13, Code 39, Code 128, ITF, Codabar, Plessey, MSI, QR Code, PDF-417, Aztec, Data MatrixAssemblies are available for the following platforms:
- .Net 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0
- Silverlight 4 and 5
- Windows Phone 7.0, 7.1 and 8.0
- Windows CE
- Windows RT Class Library and Runtime Components (winmd)
- Portable Class Library
- Unity3D (.Net 2.0 built without System.Drawing reference)
- Xamarin.Android (formerly Mono for Android)
The library is available in the download section and as NuGet package
, too.Additional platform support without pre-built binaries
The library can be built for Xamarin.iOS (formerly MonoTouch). The project file and solution is available in the source code repository
A special version for the .Net Micro Framework
can be found in a separate branch in the source code repository
.The following demo clients are available:
- decoder for the command line
- encoder for the command line
- Windows Forms demo (demonstrates decoding and encoding of static images and from a camera)
- Windows Phone demo (demonstrates decoding of static images and from a camera)
- Windows Service demo (demonstrates decoding of static images)
- Windows Presentation Framework demo (demonstrates decoding of static images)
- Windows CE demo (demonstrates decoding of static images)
- Windows RT demo (demonstrates decoding of static images)
- Windows Store App with HTML5/JS (demonstrates decoding of static images)
- Unity3D and Vuforia demo (demonstrates encoding of barcodes and decoding of images from a camera with Unity3D)
- Silverlight demo (demonstrates decoding and encoding of static images)
- EmguCV demo (demonstrates decoding of images from a camera and uses the EmguCV framework)
- AForge demo (demonstrates decoding of images from a camera and uses the AForge framework)
Many thanks to the team of the zxing project
for their great work. ZXing.Net would not be possible without your work!
The source code repository includes small examples for Windows Forms, Silverlight and Windows Phone.small example decoding a barcode inside a bitmap (.Net 2.0/3.5/4.0)
// create a barcode reader instance
IBarcodeReader reader = new BarcodeReader();
// load a bitmap
var barcodeBitmap = (Bitmap)Bitmap.LoadFrom("C:\\sample-barcode-image.png");
// detect and decode the barcode inside the bitmap
var result = reader.Decode(barcodeBitmap);
// do something with the result
if (result != null)
txtDecoderType.Text = result.BarcodeFormat.ToString();
txtDecoderContent.Text = result.Text;
I'm looking for testers and developers especially for the windows phone platform. I'm not a windows phone developer and I don't have a windows phone development device. I can only work with the windows phone emulator which has some limitations like the missing support for webcams. It would be great to know if the library works with real devices.
All other help is welcome too!
You use the library?
I would be happy if you give me a short note on the use of the library.
You found a bug?
Please create a new issue here or start a discussion about it if you are not sure.
You use the library and you are not happy with it?
Write me an email please or start a discussion about your problems with it. I will try to help you.
And you can find me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/micjahn
If you find the project useful and you wish to support the future development feel free to support it with a donation.
Beside a donation patches, bug reports, feedback and other useful help are always welcome!
Donation WITHOUT money
It would be really, really great if you could support one of my social projects. You can support it WITHOUT paying money.
You only have to go to the following url before you buy anything from a supported online shop (like Amazon or eBay):http://www.bildungsspender.de/kitadorfhain
Select you prefered online shop and go shopping like everytime. The online shop will pay a provision to our Kindergarten for your purchase. No extra costs for you. There are 85 thankful kids.
(and one thankful developer of ZXing.Net ;) )Ohloh statistics