Win 8 Phone Troubles

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Hey,

I've been trying to use ZXing.Net for a Windows 8 Phone proof-of-concept that I'm working on and haven't had much success.

I have been unable to even run the WindowsPhone8Demo on a device and see it function correctly. Is that demo known to be working? None of the three decoding options (captureView, from library, from captureTask) have worked for me.

There must be some critical step that I'm missing to get it functioning correctly. If anyone has any ideas or has trouble-shooted this before then please let me know!

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I need more information. What exactly did not work? For example, please give a sample image which you try with the
option "from library".
What device did you use? Did the camera view open as you try the option "captureView"?
Did the application crash?

The demo works on my Lumia 820.
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:15 AM
I have a demo with this working. So it does work. However I have been some issues with focus and getting it to read easily. When I get some time I will post an example. I was mainly posting to confirm that it is in fact working.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Yesterday I refreshed the WP8 demo in the repository.
Perhaps you have a chance to try it out.
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:38 PM
The problem was with the scanning. I was using the Lumia 1020, the one with a 41MP Camera, to test it. The auto focus didn't work well for macro images. The distance required to get decent focus made the barcodes too small for actual use.

I did get it working once I switched to a different phone, the prototype Lumia 929. Not perfect, focusing as levirogers said, but definitely functional. It worked with the WP8 demo and using the .dll in an app I created.

For further information, when I said "not working" I was primarily trying to use the live capture view. The photo capture event and library select events didn't work on the lumia 1020, but that would be the same issues. They did work when I switched devices.

There was never any crashes and the camera view always opened.

Thanks for getting back to me both of you. I'll check out the updated WP8 demo and see if that improves anything.
Coordinator
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Thanks for you feedback. It would be great if you can check out the newest version of the demo app.
I improved and changed a lot of things related to the scanning process. But I could only test it on a Lumia 820.
Feb 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM
micjahn wrote:
Thanks for you feedback. It would be great if you can check out the newest version of the demo app.
I improved and changed a lot of things related to the scanning process. But I could only test it on a Lumia 820.
I also have a Lumia 820. ;-) I won it for an app.

I am trying to follow along with the Windows Phone 8 demo app and it seems a little over engineered.
My code for the Windows Phone 8 version is already far too complex (SQL CE cache and cloud accounts and cloud storage).
I am trying to finish off a Windows Phone 8 panorama app which is a port of a tab based app already in Android and iOS app stores.

I have a media element in the xaml and I create a camera object and attach that to it. I save the image from the camera on a button click and then attempt to open the file and get a barcode out of it. I am getting invalid reference object exceptions directly after a check if the object is null, invalid cross thread access exceptions and all kinds of weirdness...

Two things I would find useful:
  1. A much much simpler demo program. 
  2. Dumbed down step by step code integration instructions for those who code in half a dozen languages and .NET is not their native tongue.
R.
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM
Edited Feb 16, 2014 at 5:59 AM
I am going to try the new demo in the next week or so I will let you know if the focus us working better.

Tried tonight I am having a hard time even loading the project in VS2012 express for windows phone. Any advice.