This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows Universal Apps

May 1, 2014 at 2:37 AM
Before I go off and find that it can't be done.

I don't see an example of Zxing for the new Universal Application Framework. Is there one underway?

Second just trying to get Zxing to work on the new native Win8.1 Phone project type and I don't see an example for that either. In this case I've at least been able to load the NuGet package into the solution.

So realizing that the new WP8.1 project type is much closer to Windows 8.1 RT I checked out the sample there and you're not attempting to perform a recognition from a live Media Stream just pulling a file.

Again just want to find out if there's a road block there or that you just hadn't had time to produce a sample.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Edited May 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM
There is no sample for appx or Windows 8.1 at all.
Free time is the issue, not a road block.

It would be great if you can write a working sample with Media Stream and provide it is as a patch.
May 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Thanks, and I understand. You’re really doing stellar work here!

I tried things based on Win8 but that MediaCapture device interface is terrible. Performance just sucks.

Unfortunately that’s where the entire Win API is headed. We’re going to need to implement some kind of recognizer pattern in C++ to get the perf otherwise you’re looking at 1 sample/sec and their s bug in the MediaCapture component the fails if the user switches to another app.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Patch 13886 at https://zxingnet.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/patches does quite a good job, at least of recognising QR codes (and even displaying the matched region), although the patch hasn't yet been accepted. That sample does seem to struggle with EAN codes though, but not sure if that's down to the sample, zxing, or the print quality of the barcodes...
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I'm not sure what you want to suggest but since the patch was added there were a lot of improvements to the current WP8 demos.
What things do you are missing in the current demos which are available in the patch you mentioned?
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM
One thing that might be helpful in the samples is a method to take images that fail that should work. I can only get ZXing to scan QR codes, but not any of the 1D barcodes like EAN / Code 39 (even when Bing Vision reads the former with apparent ease)
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM
The current WP8 demo https://zxingnet.svn.codeplex.com/svn/trunk/Clients/WindowsPhone8Demo
definitly works for 1D barcodes. I tried it my self on a lumia device.
Do you have problems with your own implementation or did you only try the demo in the patches section which doesn't work as expected?
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I tried with both the current sample with the package via nuget and the patch that's awaiting evaluation. I've got some sample images that don't scan back in the office that I can send if it's any help?

It's a shame that Microsoft don't expose Bing Vision for developer use...
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Please send some sample images.
Jun 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Where would you like them sent (given I can't seem to attach them here?)