QR Code: encode numeric string as alphanumeric

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2015 at 4:49 PM
I'm building an WinRT(universal) app where I need to encode a 16-digit numeric string into a QR code. Seems like ZXing will only use "numerical" mode as described in QR standard, and there's no way of overriding it to use "alphanumerical" mode. Is this correct? I took a look at the source code and feels like an override could be easily added into the hints passed into the encoding function. If that's the case, could you please add it?
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM
Why do you want to set the encoding mode manually? I don't see the use case.
Apr 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM
One use case may involve generating QR code for Point-of-sale scanner. (think Starbucks) some POS systems don't recognize numeric encoding of card number, but instead recognizes(requires?) alphanumeric encoding of card number since they may utilize alphabet-based coupon code or similar things.

For my specific case, I have modified and built the library myself for this functionality and it works fine. Just feel that this could help more use cases.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Coordinator
May 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Sorry, late answer.
If you have implemented it already, can you provide a patch?
May 4, 2015 at 9:05 PM
I could give it a try(I'm not familiar with how to generate a patch, so that may take a bit of time) and I'll send you a patch.

Sent from my Windows Phone