This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Regular expressions

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM
Hi guys,

I experimented with ZXING.NET but the performance is much slower than the Atalasoft Barcode reader, which I want to stop using. Are there any suggestions on performance? One is that I have full control over the image that I am supplying, so is pure black-and-white better, or color?

AlsoI always need to check with a regex, because I get invalid barcodes. But this means that I need to recognize all barcodes, which is slower, before I can check which one(s) are valid.
Is there a way to insert an extra regex-check so that recognition can stop after the first validated barcode is recognized?

Hope you have any suggestions?

Kind regards

Serge
May 9, 2016 at 10:00 PM
It depends on your environment and can not easily answered.
Some solutions from ZXing.Net users which I know are using slow image capturing algorithms. In that cases ZXing.Net isn't the slow part.
Black-and-White input can be faster than colored images if you have a faster binarizing algorithm than that one from ZXing.Net.
In most cases the resolution which is used for capturing is to high. Scanning an image with a size of 640x480 is much faster than 2048x1536.
In mobile phone scenarios you can use the resolution of the preview buffer instead of using a captured image with the full resolution of the camera.
There is no way to inject a custom barcode validation algorithm. You have to scan the image and validate the result which is given back by the decoder.